Monday, December 12, 2005

Chinese Watercolor Painting

Next month I plan to start a night school course on Chinese Watercolors. I also just bought a book on Chinese Brush Painting techniques. Until tonight, the pictures appealed to me. Just a few strokes convey so much feeling and sense of place. I especially enjoy drawings of bamboo, leaves and flowers.

A Chinese restaurant that I visit at least once a week, has pictures of horses that are simply amazing. Minimal brush strokes, yet I can feel the horses' power and "see" the rippling muscles. I wanted to learn to paint like that.

Tonight, though, I visited an artist's gallery (Wilfred Hildonen, a Norwegian artist living in Viseu, Portugal) and was blown away with the raw energy in his paintings. Suddenly, the watercolors (except for the horses) began to pale in my mind. I think the artist uses oils and acrylic. I will go back later and link to his gallery. I am not completely sure how to do that. But, I'll give it a try.. I am now looking at watercolors as only a beginning, perhaps. I shall just have to see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home