Sunday, November 27, 2005

MP3 issues and the rootkit problems

I have decided to stop buying any new or used CDs. The MP3 and sound card problems took me hours to resolve. I despise the idea that the recording companies feel they can alter my computer just because they do not like the fact that I listen to MP3s instead of their tiny CDs.

I still have not had the time to research the tagging issues of the MP3s that I do have. I plan to get to that tonight. Gosh, time is so short these days. This time shortage is compounded by my trying to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night. I just hate wasting so much time sleeping. However, I believe that sleep deprivation causes more health problems that I am willing to live with.

Two or three months ago, I bought a iPod Mini (6 GB), but have not had the time to open the box. However, because of the Sony CD problems, I plan to setup the iPod with about 1500 songs. This will lessen the pressure I'm feeling to resolve this entire MP3 controversy.

My brother does not understand why I insist on getting involved with all these technology related problems. All he feels is a sense of overwhelm and utter frustration. Technology makes him feel stupid and old. I wish I could share with him how exciting I find technology. I sometimes feel like a kid in a candy shop. Even in the middle of a crisis, I feel involved and interested.

Maybe the accident has allowed me to appreciate what my brain is capable of. In addition, I really want to create a lot of extra capacity in my brain. I do not want to suffer from Alzheimer or other cognitive problems when I get a LOT older!

Since I am not going to buy anymore CDs, I'll need to locate a download site for the music that I want to get. R told me about the site that he uses:

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

I am still not sure what the fees are. Look like for $20, I can download their Pro software (not bundled with anything else) which lists some good benefits. However, I want to figure out how they are making their money. I don't want to be involved with anything like Napster or a site that the recording industry is drowning with rubbish and viruses.

I am sure I will be saving a lot of money. I don't buy that many CDs each year (maybe 50 a year). But, if I only have to pay for the songs that I really want, then it will be a bargain. Of my recent purchases, only Linda Eder's Broadway My Way was outstanding. I think she had 14 songs on her CD and I really liked 11 of them. Usually, I find only one or two songs that I really like on a CD.

Perhaps, the recording industry did me a favor. They got me to focus on the entire CD purchase. My conclusion is that the benefits of owning my own CD are far outweighed by the potential for damage the recording company can do to my computers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home