Saturday, December 17, 2005

Stop Smoking - my history

I started to smoke in 1962. What an idiot! At that time, I was surrounded by smokers. People did not even consider any health implications of smoking. My mother's good friend felt secure because she smoked Kents and it had that supposedly safe micro{something-or-other} filter.

I was a natural smoker. Once, my mother caught me smoking. She thought an effective punishment was to have me sit at the kitchen table and smoke a pack of her unfiltered Pall Malls. After smoking two cigarettes, my mom snatched the pack away from me and called me a smart aleck. I don't remember what other punishments happened. I continued to smoke until my sophomore year in high school. I stopped briefly because of my swim team requirements. Once the year was over, I started right up again.

Finally, in 1973 I stopped smoking, on a lark. I wanted to see if I could do it. No sweat. I did not smoke again for over a year. Then, I was a junior auditor and went out for an inventory observation for a local supermarket chain. The inventory crew was late; it was 10 PM, and I had two hours to kill. So, I bought a pack of cigarettes. Dumb. Within a week I was back to a two-pack-a-day habit!

The habit got out of control. Although, I was smoking light brands, I was now up to four packs a day! I bought cigarettes by the carton (10 cartons at a time). However, based on my 1973 experience, I was not worried. I felt confident that I could quit anytime I wanted to.

Then in 1976, two co-workers challenged me on this belief. They did not believe I could quit smoking for six months. I was so confident that I agreed to a lop-sided bet. If I won, they would only have to take me to dinner. If I lost, I would have to take the two of them to dinner. I was that confident!

What a fool. I lost. Those two guys picked an expensive restaurant. They even ended the evening with brandy and cigars! Surprisingly, I am still on friendly terms with one of the men. The other? I married him eight years later.

Back to my smoking history. I was crushed. I had to accept the fact that I was addicted to cigarette smoking. Over the next 20 years, I continued to smoke. I tried to reduce my smoking by decreeing numerous rules ... no smoking in the car, no smoking in front of people, no smoking in restaurants, etc.

Numerous research studies began to demonstrate the dangers inherent in smoking. I was torn. I did not want to be a failure, again. But, I did want to stop. Information was released (leaked) which showed the tobacco companies began to put more nicotine in cigarettes beginning in the mid 70's. I now knew why it was so easy to quit in 1973. I was less addicted, then. I started to get mad.

I watched the tobacco company executives lie under oath before congress and the American people.

Unacceptable! I thought about all of my smoking money going to these tobacco companies. My money was paying their high salaries. I was paying them to ultimately kill me with their products! I was furious.

On February 1, 1996, I went to an acupuncturist and had some acupressure balls applied to my addiction points. It was difficult to quit. But, it would be more difficult to start smoking. I have not had a cigarette since.

I am confident that I shall not smoke again even though I will always be an addict. My secret? I cannot bear the idea that any of my money supports murderers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home